Tuesday, 21 April 2015

Day Thirty-Three: Code, Monkey, CODE!!


The past few days I have been buried neck deep in code, server architecture, databases... well, that is to say, "I.T. stuff".

I'm sure this translates to other disciplines, but I know it best from the tech world. It's that feeling when you're "in the zone" - you're staying on top of close to 15 open windows and are mentally tracking about another five or six things that you need to be aware of. Your computer is having trouble keeping up with you, but you're making mad progress and even though you've really got to pee, you're going to hold it until you get this one more thing working...

It's easy to lose yourself in that world, but I finally stumbled out today and in the end, had accomplished something I'd been wanting to get done for months. It's hard to explain to non-techies just what I completed that sparked this sense of euphoria, but for the three of you who might actually understand (and the others who'll give it a good shot):

After many months of dealing with an unwieldy software project with too many interconnected parts and environment dependencies, I created a virtual environment where each piece of the software suite runs in a separate virtual environment which is completely portable. Thanks to "docker", those virtual environments can be created in seconds, so swapping pieces in and out when upgrading software or modifying code is a no-brainer.

It's just a proof of concept for now, but over the next weeks and months this is going to be a significant improvement. The bottom line is that a piece of software that hundreds of people depend upon is going to be a whole lot easier to keep running (which makes me happy, because as of now I'm the only one left in the organization who knows how it works)!

Geek out,

Evan

No comments:

Post a Comment