Thursday, 23 April 2015

Day Thirty-Five: Presence

Today we had meetings in Manila. I had a very excellent day.

The drive in to Ortigas Centre
Much like my time with Beth (see Monday's post) the meeting I had this morning with my team member Jean, was very encouraging. Besides doing stellar work in my department, she's been getting involved in the spiritual lives of those around her. She's part of a weekly in-depth Bible study at the office as well as doing additional mentoring with some of the ladies. It is so awesome to hear that my group is really getting involved in their communities. Above and beyond!

Unfortunately, Jean will be retiring next year and finding a replacement to fill her stunning shoes has been weighing on my mind. Done! It's not official but I think we have found the ideal candidate. Now we just have to go through all the appropriate channels and work out a time line. I did not expect issue to resolve so quickly.

My office space for the day
Since my "promotion" I've been struggling with my role in leadership. It has been getting better and today I got to meet with a leadership coach in our organization. She is a lovely lady and is willing to work with me through this learning process. This was another inspiring meeting.

Sometimes people see the travel budget that the organization uses and they think it excessive. If you've never worked in a global setting where team mates, supervisors and other colleagues are spread around the world, then it is really hard to understand the incredible value of face to face meetings. I didn't use to. Now I do. In Asia especially where relationships are far more important than tasks. To get work done efficiently and even correctly, one must know whom one is working with. Being present is vital. Maybe we should rename the "travel" budget line to "relationship building".

~ Bonnie

Some Bibles

No comments:

Post a Comment